Looking after your AutoPot system
Like most things there is some regular housework to be done to get the best results.
- Check the water level in the tank
- Ensure there are no leaks in the pipe especially the valves, joins and taps.
- Check there are no roots or debris in the tray to stop the valve working correctly
Each time you refill the tank
- Ensure the tank is clean
- Quarter fill the tank with plain water and flush the water through the pipes by opening the flush taps on the end
- Ensure the tap is closed and refill the tank. If required add nutrient to the correct level for the plant
- Remember to open the tap again
At the end of the growth cycle
- Clean all the pots, trays, valves and tank with warm soapy water. You can dismantle the valve and put it through the dishwasher but remember to remove the silicon plugs and keep them in a safe place
- Soak in bleach or a 5% Hydrogen peroxide solution to kill the bacteria or fungus diseases and ensure they do not pass to the next growth cycle
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water
Top 10 other hints and tips
- Never put your Autopots on a cold concrete floor. Cold roots will inhibit growth. Use a layer of polystyrene under the trays to insulate for the radiating cold
- Position your tank 15cm above the level of your tray.
- Always use a layer of gravel, perlite or expanded clay balls in the base of your pot to aid drainage
- Never let you tank run dry - besides the plant getting no water, you can get an air lock in the pipes.
- Always make sure the tray is level
- Always use the genuine AutoPot parts. Especially the Flexitube as it is softer than other commercially available tubing.
- Do not mix nutrients from different manufacturers. They can react and cause blockages in the plumbing
- Always keep your trays clean of roots and debris.
- Check for hiding slugs under the cover, pot lip or tray
- Use hot water to soften the pipes before you try to dismantle the system. You can submerge the whole valve and pipe into hot water to loosen and soften the pipe. When you remove the pipe ensure you pull the pipe straight. Twisting will increase the chance of breakages